Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Money Secrets of the Amish: Finding True Abundance in Simplicity, Sharing and Saving by Lorilee Craker

I recieved this ebook from BookSneeze.com to read and post my review.

I have always been interested in saving money, although I have never been good at following the tips I have read about to make them work for me.  Being recently out on medical disability, our household income has considerably decreased and it is more important for me, more than ever, to follow money-saving tips and really buckle down on the spending. I have many times wondered, when passing through Amish farm country, how the Amish make ends meet with such big farms and big families.  This book combines the two "mysteries" in an engaging and informative way.

Lorilee Craker is a descendant of a Mennonite, a close cousin of the Amish.  She decided to take a trip to Lancaster County in Pennsylvania to see if she could learn from her Amish cousins how they view saving money. She tells a story of an Amish gentleman, who managed to save $400,000.00 as a downpayment to buy a $1.5 million farm. He did all this while paying rent on a farm and raising his 14 children. Now that takes alot of financial discipline.

Their concept is simple: Do not waste things, reuse items and buy used.  Such a simple way of thinking, but yet our society is hooked on buying the latest, greatest items and spending way too much on things we don't use up. Lorilee describes how not using credit cards, buying some bulk items and going to consignment and second-hand stores can really save you money.

This book was very informative, suggesting ways to save that I hadn't thought of, all while being very entertaining. This book is a must-read for those of us who are interested in decreasing our spending and trying to build that nest-egg.  I highly recommend this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment